WCSD schools welcome students back with counselors and district resources after Bug Fire

Thousands of students returned to class Monday after the Bug Fire delayed the start of the school year, keeping nine schools closed for the first week of classes amid evacuation orders, road closures and safety concerns.

Instead of starting classes last week, many families spent their days tracking evacuation maps, packing belongings and preparing to leave at a moment’s notice as the fire threatened neighborhoods across the area. With students now back in classrooms, school leaders are focusing on rebuilding routines and supporting children and families still feeling the impact of the fire.

At Alyce Taylor Elementary School, counselor Casey Rogers said students were eager to return. “They’re excited to be here. They’re really ready to be back,” Rogers said.

Rogers said the past week was difficult for many families. “It was a pretty scary time for a lot of our families,” she said. “A lot of our zone was either evacuated or ready to evacuate. So, for a lot of our families and our kiddos it was very unnerving and there was a lot of worry around that.”

When students arrived Monday morning, staff members worked to make the return feel welcoming, Rogers said. “We made sure we had greeters everywhere, excited to welcome them back. We had music playing. It was just a good vibe. It was fun and light and the kids were really excited to be back,” she said…

Story continues

TRENDING NOW

LATEST LOCAL NEWS