Standing on the south bank of the Lehigh River in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, sits a 9.5-acre public campus laid out in front of five blast furnaces.
The furnaces belonged to Bethlehem Steel, and the works under them started making iron in 1863. Seven furnaces ran at the peak. Two came down in the 1960s.
Iron and steel production ended on November 18, 1995. Most of the campus land was donated in October 2009 for the SteelStacks project, and the first SteelStacks buildings opened in 2011…