Maryland educators are reeling at the loss of more than $400 million in funds suddenly rescinded by the federal government, a “catastrophic” move that would hit especially hard in public schools in Baltimore city and county and other large school districts.
“‘Shocked’ does not begin to describe our reaction when we received the notification late Friday evening,” State School Superintendent Carey M. Wright said Monday. “This jeopardizes over $400 million in funding.”
The funds had been given to the state for pandemic relief. State schools officials said the funds were used to help mitigate educational losses as a result of the pandemic, when students took classes remotely from home. The funds were used, for example, for reading assistance, tutoring, wellness programs and summer learning. The funds were also used for construction projects, such as repairing and replacing HVAC systems to make schools safer and cleaner…