DENVER — As FBI Denver and the Denver Police Department (DPD) continue to search for a suspect accused of killing two people in 2023, they announced a reward on Thursday for any information that leads to the man’s arrest and conviction.
Mathew LaDaniel Johnson, now 55, is wanted on charges of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder. On Thursday, FBI Denver announced a reward up to $10,000 in this case and said multiple billboards will go up around the Front Range to bring more attention to the case.
“As part of the FBI’s national initiative to target violent crime, called Operation Summer Heat, we are renewing our attention on this case in hopes that the public can help us find him so that he can have his day in court,” FBI Denver Special Agent in Charge Mark Michalek said at a Thursday press conference.
Johnson is accused of shooting four men, killing two of them, around 1:30 a.m. on Dec. 30, 2023. The shooting happened at The Viking bar along the 4800 block of W. Colfax Avenue in Denver. According to FBI Denver, he had been on the bar’s patio with his girlfriend when an argument erupted between the woman and one of the victims. During that argument, one of the victims punched Johnson and he fell to the ground. He stood back up, pulled out a handgun and began shooting, FBI Denver said…