At 101 feet, Adluh Mills is a Columbia landmark, defining the city’s skyline for more than a century. Its first reinforced-concrete grain elevator was built in 1910, alongside a four-story galvanized-metal warehouse. As the company grew, two additional reinforced-concrete elevators were added next to the original structure.
The mill still operates today under the ownership of Allen Brothers Milling Company, which purchased it in 1926. Wheat and corn are milled into flour, cornmeal and grits. Adluh Mills is now the last of 42 similar mills that once operated across South Carolina.
The name “Adluh” has an unusual origin. In 1913, a Shriners’ drum corps adopted the name of a member’s daughter, Hulda, and spelled it backward to create the Adluh Drum Corps. Mill owner B. R. Cooner liked the name and adopted it for the company in 1914…