The tragic case of Emmanuel Haro, a 7-month-old baby presumed dead, has brought to light the shortcomings of the criminal justice system, according to Riverside County District Attorney Michael Hestrin. CBS News Los Angeles reports that Hestrin criticized the leniency previously shown to the baby’s father, Jake Haro, after a 2023 child abuse case. Hestrin said that if the judge in that case had acted appropriately, “Emmanuel would be alive today.”
Details emerged from a new report suggesting that Jake Haro was coaxed into confessing the murder of his son and the disposal of his body by an undercover inmate, a source told NewsNation’s Brian Entin. The District Attorney conveyed that Emmanuel endured long-term abuse at the hands of his parents, leading to his death. On a different note, the Haros had reported that Emmanuel was abducted on August 14, an account that has since been unraveled by inconsistencies and changed stories.
Jake Haro’s previous child abuse case, involving an infant from a former marriage, left that child bedridden with permanent injuries. Despite the severity of the abuse, which authorities say included inflicted rib fractures and skull injuries, the father was spared prison time, a point of contention for Hestrin. “Someone who does that to a child belongs in prison, period,” said Hestrin. Meanwhile, Rebecca Haro has consistently refused to cooperate with the investigation and has stuck by her initial abduction story, even under an undercover inmate operation to garner a confession…