Corpus Christi, Texas—grappling with a water crisis—received good news Tuesday after its water supplier said the projected date for a Level 1 Water Emergency, triggered when demand is expected to outstrip supply within 180 days, had been delayed by several months.
The South Texas coastal city’s water issues stem from persistent drought conditions and sharply reduced inflows into the city’s main surface water sources. The region depends heavily on rainfall to replenish reservoirs, which have continued to drop after years of dry conditions across the region, an official told Newsweek previously.
“We are pleased to share the positive news with the community,” said Nicholas Winkelmann, Chief Operating Officer of Corpus Christi Water (CCW).
Why It Matters
According to a fact sheet previously provided to Newsweekby the city, if a Level 1 Emergency is declared, it could require all customers to cut back on how much water they use and may also introduce extra charges for excess use. The reduced usage requirement would apply to everyone, but the additional fees would not apply to certain large-volume customers, as they have been paying into a program since 2019 that exempts them from those surcharges…