THE JAXSON | Warehouses of history: Jacksonville then and now

Free local news and info, in your inbox at 6 a.m. M-F. Jacksonville’s historic warehouses and industrial buildings tell the story of a city shaped by railroads, shipping, manufacturing and commerce. From coffee roasting plants and wholesale grocery warehouses to bottling operations and distribution centers, these buildings once formed the backbone of Jacksonville’s working economy.

Some continue to serve industrial purposes, while others have been adapted for offices, apartments and small businesses, or simply await their next chapter. Through historic and present-day photographs, this collection explores how these landmarks have changed while preserving visible connections to Jacksonville’s industrial past.

A & P Southeastern Headquarters

1775 W. Beaver St.

Once the world’s largest retailer, the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. established a major Southeastern operations center along West Beaver Street. A&P opened its Eight O’Clock Coffee roasting plant here in 1925 and added an industrial bakery in 1932. The sprawling complex remained an important Jacksonville food-production and distribution center until A&P began relocating operations in 1968; the coffee plant continued until 1990. During the 1980s, Beaver Street Fisheries, now BSF, acquired much of the former A&P complex, continuing the property’s long association with Jacksonville’s food industry.

Clark & Lewis Company Wholesale Grocers

2481 Dennis St.

In 1947, Clark & Lewis Co. relocated its wholesale grocery operations to Dennis Street, adding to the concentration of food distributors, warehouses and industrial businesses operating in this section of Jacksonville. The move reflected the area’s growing importance as a center for wholesale commerce during the postwar era, when proximity to rail lines and major transportation routes made the district an attractive location for distribution companies. Today, the former Clark & Lewis property is owned by Global Impex Jax, continuing the building’s longstanding association with commercial and distribution uses.

Groover-Stewart Drug Co.

25 N. Market St.

Established by Flavius Christie and Frank Groover in 1900, the Groover-Stewart Drug Co. grew into Florida’s largest wholesale drug company. To accommodate its expanding operations, the company constructed this reinforced-concrete office and warehouse building on North Market Street in 1925. Recognizing its architectural and commercial significance, the property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. The former warehouse has since been rehabilitated as Expansive Workspace, transforming a building designed for wholesale distribution into modern offices, suites and conference spaces.

More from Jax Today

Story continues

TRENDING NOW

LATEST LOCAL NEWS