Norfolk jury convicts man of rape in 2023 house party

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A Norfolk jury convicted a man of rape Thursday after he sexually assaulted a former coworker after a 2023 house party, the Norfolk Commonwealth’s Attorney’s office said.

Eddie Lee Simon, 30, had initially pleaded not guilty and opted to be tried by a jury, but after a jury heard evidence Tuesday and Wednesday of last week, the jury Thursday convicted Simon of rape. Judge David W. Lannetti set a July 25 sentencing hearing.

“Sex without consent, whether through threats or intimidation or by taking advantage of another person’s helplessness or unconsciousness, is rape, period,” said Commonwealth’s Attorney Ramin Fatehi in a statement. “I am grateful to the survivor of Mr. Simon’s assault for coming forward, telling the truth, and helping the police and us hold Mr. Simon accountable. We will seek a fitting sentence for this crime, and we will continue to focus our resources on the individuals who hurt other members of our community.”…

Story continues

TRENDING NOW

LATEST LOCAL NEWS