Feds Keep Squeeze On Miske Millions As Honolulu Estate Fight Drags On

New filings in Honolulu federal court suggest the battle over the late crime boss Michael Miske’s fortune is not wrapping up anytime soon. In a stipulation lodged last Thursday, the parties told a judge that prosecutors may lean on evidence from a previously undisclosed criminal investigation and asked to bump a March 1 hearing to at least June 1. Settlement talks are still underway, and the result will decide whether millions in property and cash ultimately flow back to a trust whose only beneficiary is Miske’s minor granddaughter.

What the filing says

The stipulation filed in U.S. District Court last Thursday reports that the government intends to use material gathered in a previously undisclosed criminal probe to reinforce its civil forfeiture claims and may seek permission to amend the complaint with two new legal theories, according to Civil Beat. The document, signed by the government, the Michael J. Miske Jr. Trust and three lenders, asks Magistrate Judge Kenneth Mansfield to postpone a March 1 hearing to at least June 1 while motions tied to the fresh evidence play out.

What’s at stake

The stipulation cautions that “these upcoming motions … may affect the status of the civil action and/or discovery,” and the filings lay out a sizable pool of contested assets, according to Civil Beat. On the line are roughly $4.3 million in cash and checks, real estate appraised at $8.8 million for tax purposes, vintage cars valued around $400,000, and an 8,206-square-foot oceanfront Portlock residence, all central to ongoing talks over sale procedures and any potential deal.

Case background

Miske was convicted in July 2024 on 13 counts, including racketeering conspiracy and murder-in-aid-of-racketeering, and a jury later found his assets forfeitable; after he was discovered dead in custody in December 2024, the criminal verdicts and original charges were vacated and prosecutors launched a separate civil forfeiture action to chase the assets, according to a statement from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Hawaii. The Justice Department has said it remains committed to recovering assets that the earlier criminal jury found forfeitable and will file whatever pleadings are needed to pursue them.

Settlement talks and the timetable

Attorneys for the trust and the government have previously asked the court to slow scheduling so they could chase a negotiated resolution rather than re-fight a sprawling criminal forfeiture case, and an earlier stipulation to continue the proceedings laid out plans to explore interlocutory sales and valuation work, according to the court filing continuing the Rule 16 conference. Scribd shows that stipulation explaining that the parties want time to coordinate valuations and settlement negotiations and to hash out sale procedures for non-currency property so its value is preserved…

Story continues

TRENDING NOW

LATEST LOCAL NEWS