Witnesses say Pedro Garcia, 19, had his hands up when fatally shot by Fullerton police, lawyers allege

Family members of a 19-year-old man fatally shot by Fullerton police have filed a legal claim over his death, their lawyers saying witnesses saw him with his hands up as officers opened fire and disputing an allegation by police that he was armed.

“Nothing that I’m going to do for him is going to bring back my son,” said the mother of Pedro Garcia, Gabriela Ordones-Campos, as she spoke before reporters Wednesday, tears filling her eyes. “But I just want justice now. I just want justice now.”

Garcia’s family filed a legal claim filed against the city of Fullerton Tuesday alleging wrongful death and violation of civil rights in the deadly shooting. The claim states officers unjustifiably used excessive force when they shot and killed Garcia last month and says he was unarmed, despite police alleging Garcia was armed with a pellet gun at the time of the shooting…

Story continues

TRENDING NOW

LATEST LOCAL NEWS