St. Luke Hospital of Pasadena is what longtime neighbors still call the big concrete hospital on E. Washington Boulevard in northeast Pasadena, California.
The Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange opened it in 1933 and ran it until 1986. A convent and chapel went up beside it in 1947. In 1986 the Sisters sold the hospital to Summit Health. The name changed to St. Luke Medical Center.
Another company owned it before Tenet Healthcare closed it in 2002. By then only 70 to 75 of its 165 beds were filled on a normal day…