MOBILE COUNTY, Ala. (WKRG) — Many unanswered questions still remain after a shoot-out between a Semmes man and officers on Jan. 4 at an auto body shop.
Mobile thrift store robbery ends with suspect in Metro Jail: MPD
Attorney Bryan Comer, who represents John Bowman, said Semmes officers noticed the door to Bowman’s shop was open and saw a padlock had been cut during their routine patrol.Comer said officers suspected a burglary at the business, but he argued law enforcement took things too far by going to Bowman’s camper.
“It is undisputed that the police were not invited into the premises. Into the private property. And it’s undisputed that there were no exigent circumstances, meaning they weren’t chasing after a criminal. They weren’t in hot pursuit of someone,” Comer said.The Mobile County Sheriff’s Office previously told News 5 that Semmes police announced multiple times they were entering the building and found Bowman with a handgun.
Comer disputed the account that Bowman was the first to fire.“They said *he* began firing,” said Comer. “What the 911 tapes show is that Mr. Bowman did *not* know that it was the police when he woke up. He saw lights. He turns his lights on, (then) the police start shooting at him,” he continued.Comer said six 911 calls from that night support his claim that Bowman said he was shot at first.
“And in fact, the very first 911 call… He said he didn’t know who shot him,” said Comer. “He was shot five times. And the police say that he returned fire… but one police officer was apparently grazed in the back,” he continued.Comer said the Semmes Police Department has body camera footage from that night, but he said he has not been able to access it.
“We don’t have it. We’ve requested it,” Comer said. “It’s extremely important, for sure. I mean, it’s going to show in real time what the officers did,” he continued when News 5 asked if this is crucial for the investigation.Comer said if the case leads to a lawsuit, it could open up closed doors.“There would be discovery where written documents can be obtained, video footage can be obtained, depositions get taken,” Comer said.
Comer said Bowman has a long recovery ahead.
“He was in ICU for a long time. He has since been upgraded to a private room. He has had multiple surgeries and may have more in the future,” Comer said.
Baldwin County investigators say Boaz man solicited teen online
News 5 has reached out to the Semmes Police Department and the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office, which is now taking over the case. We are still waiting for a comment from both…