Before dawn on Jan. 22, a young man was standing outside in Village de l’Est when a juvenile approached from behind and shot him repeatedly in the back, New Orleans police said.
The young suspect wore an electronic ankle monitor issued by the Office of Juvenile Justice, but the battery had died four days earlier, said Matt Dennis, a veteran New Orleans bail bondsman who said he helped police in the case.
It’s uncertain if the judge who assigned the ankle monitor had been notified it was deactivated. The juvenile suspect was arrested six days later on a count of aggravated battery, according to a New Orleans Police Department spokesperson who would not confirm the suspect’s name or information about an ankle monitor…