An upscale San Jose restaurant has closed less than two years after it opened, as the city grapples with attracting people to the downtown core.
Rollati Ristorante, an Italian-American restaurant across from San Jose City Hall, abruptly closed Tuesday due to declining revenues. Customer foot traffic dropped 30% from last year, according to Alistair Levine, CEO of Vine Hospitality which owned the restaurant. Levine said the group plans to focus on their other restaurants, including three in Santana Row — Left Bank, L.B. Steak and Meso Modern Mediterranean.
“It became obvious with our partners that the level of business was not sustainable,” Levine told San José Spotlight. “We tried multiple pivots over the last nine months in terms of dining room layout, menus, etc. and just didn’t find a formula that connected with guests.”…