Members of the public had the chance to tour the ruins of Canton’s out-of-commission paper mill last week for the first time since it shut down in 2023.
The mill had operated from 1908 until the final whistle in June 2023. It employed generations of Western North Carolinians, providing thousands of families a decent living, but it was also the subject of numerous environmental concerns regarding both air and water quality.
On Aug. 13, Two Banks hosted a pair of one-hour tours that each accommodated 30 visitors. Hyatt ran the sign-up process and said there are about 40 more people still left on a wait list. In an Aug. 17 email, Hyatt said that there will be more tours in about a month, with additional details forthcoming on Two Banks’ social media accounts…