Tenants removed from unsafe Kansas City complex with no warning, organizers say

Some residents of North Lawn properties in Kansas City’s North Indian Mound neighborhood were forced to leave and relocate — with no warning — Friday morning, some into already occupied units, organizers said.

Asia Jones, a spokeswoman for the city housing department, said the two vacated buildings were unsafe to live in and that the residents had to move so electrical repairs could start.

Jones said three people were relocated. Shawn Johnson, the building’s new owner, said three households were rehoused and five additional people were given temporary housing. Mary Allison Joseph with the renters’ union KC Tenants, which has been advocating for better living conditions at the complex for almost three years, said 10 tenant families were displaced. Kansas City had previously pledged to attempt to make repairs without further displacing residents, but changed course last week after the building sold to a new owner…

Story continues

TRENDING NOW

LATEST LOCAL NEWS