Most people have seen surveyors at work — marking boundaries, determining distances, angles and positions. It’s the kind of essential data necessary for all types of construction projects, and is an ongoing endeavor for all cities.
The New York City Municipal Archives holds a variety of records from government agencies responsible for surveying what now are the five boroughs, ranging from Brooklyn maps documenting 19th century road placement to aerial photographic maps from the 20th century. One notable collection of maps and notebooks depicts waterfront development.
About a decade ago archivists re-appraised notebooks that had been accessioned from an earlier incarnation of the New York City Department of Ports and Terminals. The Department of Docks, established in 1870, had exclusive control of all the wharf property belonging to the City and the regulations of privately-owned wharf property.
The name of the agency, and its duties, changed several times through the years: Department of Docks and Ferries, 1898-1919; Department of Docks, 1919-1942; Department of Marine and Aviation, 1942-1969; Department of Ports and Terminals, 1968-1985; Department of Ports, International Trade and Commerce, 1985-1986; and Department of Ports and Trade, 1986-1991…