For 75 years, Lakeview Community Church has stood as a testimony to God’s steady faithfulness and the perseverance of His people. What began as a small gathering of believers in the 1940s has grown into the “little church by the lake” that continues to anchor the community in Christ today.
In those early years, Christians met in the humble Grand View Beach Club on Edgemere Drive—a shack‑like building near the lakefront, reachable only by horse, buggy, steamship, or the trolley that once ran from Charlotte Beach to Manitou Beach. Families flocked to the shoreline for cool water, picnics, parades, and summer fun, and the cluster of seasonal cottages slowly transformed into year‑round homes. As the neighborhood grew, so did the longing for a Protestant church where people could worship together.
In May 1949, the first official service was held at the Grand View Beach Club. Attendance quickly expanded beyond summer months, and when winter cold made the unheated hall unusable, the Grand View Heights Fire Department opened its doors so worship could continue. It became clear that God was calling this community to build a permanent church home…