Entering day 3 of Penalty phase for former officer convicted in Fort Pierce murder case

ST. LUCIE COUNTY, Fla. (CBS12) — Jurors are expected to continue hearing testimony on Wednesday in the penalty phase of the murder trial for former police officer and firefighter Otto Lenke, who was convicted earlier this month in the killing of a Fort Pierce business owner.

Entering day 3 of Penalty phase for former officer convicted in Fort Pierce murder case. CBS12’s Paige Meyer reports.

A St. Lucie County jury found the 66-year-old guilty May 8 of first-degree murder and arson in the 2021 death of Richard Benson, who owned a motorcycle repair shop in Fort Pierce.

Prosecutors said Lenke shot Benson three times inside the business before pouring alcohol on him and setting him on fire while he was still alive. Investigators said the attack was captured on surveillance video shown during the trial…

Story continues

TRENDING NOW

LATEST LOCAL NEWS