For the second time since 2020, Chicago police shoot Cordero Ramey, who prosecutors say fired at them first

For most people, getting shot by a Chicago police officer is something that never happens. Prosecutors say Cordero Ramey has now experienced it twice.

The 26-year-old, who was first wounded by Chicago police in 2020, was shot again on May 11 after he allegedly opened fire on two officers in South Chicago. Until Wednesday, he had been hospitalized recovering from his wounds since that night. Now he’s detained by order of Cook County Judge John Hock on charges including attempted murder of police officers.

Around 10:30 p.m. on May 11, CPD received a call that a man had pointed a gun at someone near the 3100 block of East 83rd Street, Assistant State’s Attorney Mike Pekara told the judge. Two officers in an unmarked car spotted Ramey matching the suspect’s description, pulled over, and ordered him to keep his hands visible. Pekara said Ramey raised his hands and then dropped them toward his waist. When the officers stepped out of the SUV, Pekara said, he ran…

Story continues

TRENDING NOW

LATEST LOCAL NEWS