Wichita driver said ‘I’m drunk’ after hitting man in wheelchair, affidavit says

The driver accused of fatally hitting a man crossing a Wichita street earlier this month told police “I’m drunk” and that he wanted to “just take the charge” during field sobriety testing conducted in the aftermath of the early afternoon collision.

“‘Go ahead, man,’” 36-year-old Jaime Gonzalez-Arambula told a Wichita police sergeant, “like he was wanting to just be arrested,” according to an affidavit released Friday in a case where he’s charged with involuntary manslaughter and driving under the influence in the death of Lawrence A. Grover of Wichita. His next court date is Tuesday.

Police noted Gonzalez-Arambula had “a droopy face, bloodshot eyes, and slurred or delayed speech” when they approached him after he hit Grover with a truck around 1:15 p.m. May 9 at 26th Street North and Amidon, the affidavit says. Police have said Grover was in a wheelchair at the time…

Story continues

TRENDING NOW

LATEST LOCAL NEWS