Iowa HHS confirms more measles cases in 2026 as outbreak spreads

DES MOINES, Iowa — Measles cases rise as Iowa HHS officials identify a new potential exposure site in southern Iowa.

The Iowa Department of Health and Human Services says as of August 21 there are 16 confirmed cases of measles in 2026 across Iowa. Iowa HHS declared the outbreak earlier this week when 12 cases were confirmed, many in southern Iowa.

Iowa HHS says officials and public health agencies have evidence of person-to-person spread and are working closely with affected families and community leaders to identify the illness, share information and ensure individuals have access to the vaccine.

Iowa man accused of attempted murder pleads to lesser charges, sentenced

Anyone present at the following locations during the listed date and time should monitor for symptoms of measles. HHS says the Pizza Ranch along Venture Drive in Ottumwa, on August 14 between noon and 3 p.m. has been identified as a new possible exposure location…

Story continues

TRENDING NOW

LATEST LOCAL NEWS