ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — Orange County public works officials say the sinkhole that opened in Maitland overnight Thursday into Friday morning is now considered stable.
“At this point, the rate at which the water was draining is significantly improved from (Monday). Therefore, the geotechnical consultants have determined that the hole is stable,” said Darrell Moody, the public information officer (PIO) for the department.
The sinkhole was originally measured at about 40 by 45 feet at last check, and officials said it hadn’t expanded from that size. Over the weekend, crews monitored the situation and the goal was to begin excavating earlier this week. However, Moody said it was determined that the hole was not stable, which led officials to fill it with water instead…